Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:34:29 -0500
From:      Frankenvince <vince@rocler.qc.ca>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp/sio1 problem

Brian Somers wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > ok, here it goes.
> >
> > My box has a problem that started out of the blue. Often, it says:
> >  sio1: 234 more tty-levels buffer overflows (total 325634)
> > in ttyv0, both 234 and 325634 are random numbers on my part.
> > It happens when there's any kind of download from my ISP.  On
> > sio1 is my 33.6kbps modem.
> >
> > I recently saw in ppp, while doing show modem:
> >  outq: ioctl probe failed: Interupted system call
> >
> > It's bothering me a lot since it's slowing down my internet
> > connection for like half of it's speed and also ppp gives me
> > segmentation faults whenever there's a lot of connections asked.
>
> The outq error was a typo in the source code.  It's now fixed.  You
> can get the current version of ppp from http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian.
>
> I'd appreciate if you'd download the latest version and post if
> you're still getting segmentation faults.  There's a bit in the FAQ
> on http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html that explains how to
> coerce ppp into dumping core if it's suffering from segmentation
> faults or the like (which it should *never* do).
>
> > Thanks
> > Vince
>
> That said, your speed problem is due to the sio overflows.  I'd be
> quite surprised if this is anything to do with ppp.  Have you tried
> things on another serial port (if you have two) ?  What DTR speed are
> you using ?  It should be 115200bps for a 33k modem.  What sort of
> UART do you have ?

I downloaded the new PPP, made the changes to the sources, compiled,
installed and as soon as I get a dump, I'll send it to you, uuencoded.

I'm using a Cyrix 486DX4-100, 24Mb RAM, USR sportster 33.6K on sio1,
generic 3 buttons mouse on sio0, they are on UART 16550 on board, my
motherboard is PCI.

This is my ppp.conf:
default:
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ1 OK-AT-OK
\\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set phone 3778294:3773641
 set login "TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: (snip) word: (snip)"
 set timeout 0

This is my ppp.linkup
default:
 delete ALL
 add 0 0 HISADDR

I use the original ppp.conf.filter except I changed the ISP's IP to my
ISP's
and added my news server.  I also use the generic ppp.deny and my custom
ppp.secret and ppp.shell.  And I also renamed *.sample to sample.*.

Thanks
Frankenvince
http://www.rocler.qc.ca/vince