Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 00:53:38 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Robert <robert@chalmers.com.au>, stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A quesstion about moving up from 2.2 to 4.2 via cvsup.

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 10:12:13PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:02:56PM +1000, Robert wrote:
> > I know - use the CD. but I'm experimenting.
> >
> > In moving from 2.2 to 4.2 stable, do I need to actually need to
> > make buildworld
> > make install world
> > for each version, or simply do the cvsup steps 2.2 -> 3.2 -> 4.2 to make
> > sure the actual source trees are all there, and then do the make and install
> > bits. ?
> >
> > it's just that make buildworld on the first step ... 2.2 is failing for some
> > reason known only to the great god Make.
>
> You probably want to do something like:
>
> 2.2.x->2.2.8->3.2->3-STABLE->4.1->4-STABLE
>
> You must build and install a world and kernel at each step.  I've got
> machines that have been upgraded that way (not all at once though ;-)
> so it's certaintly possiable.

Do yourself a favor.

 1) Backup machine. Make an /etc.old.

 2) Make 4.x-RELEASE floppies.

 3) Do a binary upgrade.

 4) Merge /etc.old with new /etc.

 5) Go 4.x-RELEASE to 4.x-STABLE.

Frankly, I think building a whole 3.X system to clobber it the minute
you are done is really a waste of time. The move from 2.2.x to 3.x,
the move from a.out to ELF world, was deep hurting if you made a wrong
step. I'd not bother.

...Unless you want to do it for just the sake of doing it. In that
case, have fun.