Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:31:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug Lo <jwlo@ms11.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI. My rules of thumb for configuring PPP by using PAP.

On Wed, Oct 01, 1997 at 01:33:02PM +0800, Doug Lo wrote:
> Hi, ALL,
>
> I have spent the time to study how to configurate PPP by using PAP
> without no problem.
> The following files ppp.conf, ppp.linkup should work fine for who want
> to use PAP.
> I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.2-Release and my ISP uses 'dynamic IP
> address".

Thanks for the feedback, Doug.

> =========== /etc/ppp/ppp.conf =============================
> default:
>     set device /dev/cuaa1
>     set speed 115200
>     set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\"
>     ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>
> provider:
>     set openmode active        ==> must add this line

This depends on the ISP.  It's becoming more common, though, so newer
versions of User PPP do it by default.

>     set phone xxxxxxx
>     deny chap
>     disable chap
>     accept pap
>     set authname XXXXX
>     set authkey    XXXXX

You probably don't want to tell the world your authname and authkey :-)

>     dial
> Caution:    DON'T ADD  THIS LINE "set login" in ppp.conf.

Again, this depends on your ISP.  Your experience is more common here,
too.

>                   If your ISP uses "static IP address", add "ifaddr
> xxxx xxxx xxxx" before 'dial'.
>
> ======== /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup ======================
> provider:
>     delete ALL
>     add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> When you finish editing these files, type ppp provide, the result is:
>> ppp provider
> User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
> Log Level is 281
> Using interface: tun0
> Interactive mode
> Dial attempt 1 of 1
> Phone: xxxxxxx
> dial OK!
> login OK!
> ppp ON Ariel> Packet mode.
> ppp on   Ariel>
> ppp on   Ariel>

You'll proabably find it more convenient to start it with

 # ppp -background provide[r]

See the man pages for alternatives.

Greg