Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:56:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Minor annoyances with ZIP Plus

On 25-Jan-98 Donald Burr wrote:
>>I just got a IOMega ZIP Plus and am using it with an Adaptec 1522
>>(AIC6360,
>>aic0).  It works fine in Win95, and fine in FreeBSD for the most part,
>>other
>>than some rather annoying error messages when trying to use it for
>>various
>>things.  Any time I mount/umount a disk, change it, and do the same again
>>(or
>>even use mtools).  You'll notice an error when probing the drive attached
>>aic0 and all the errors at the bottom (which occur when I try to use it
>>after
>>changing disks):
>
>Don't worry; these errors are "normal".  Well, as "normal" as Iomega SCSI
>devices get, anyway.  Apparently Iomega subscribes to some "weird",
>non-standard variant of SCSI, in that their devices do not support certain
>SCSI commands mandated by the SCSI specification, specifically, those SCSI
>commansd that ask a device to specify its geometry (size, #
>heads/sectors/etc.).  When presented with this anomalous behavior, the
>FreeBSD driver guesses the device's geometry, and so everything still
>works.

Aaah, and the light comes on over my head. ;->  I guess Justin's new CAM code
and the 'quirk entries' will be able to provide a neat hack for this problem?
Any tested hacks I can apply to this non-CAM (2.2.5-STABLE) system to make this
thing shut up?

>I see the same behavior with my Iomega Jaz drive, and with a prevous Zip
>drive I used to own.
>
>My advice is not to worry about it, shake your head sadly at Iomega's lack
>of direction, and move on with life. :)

I would have chosen something besides this lousy ZIP drive, but this seems to
be the direction everybody is going with removable media, even though there are
several products out there that are faster/hold more/cheaper, etc. etc... (sigh)
I think we need to get everyone we can to complain to IOMega about their
(lack-of) following standards.  I wonder if the firmware in these things is
flash upgradable.  No mention of it in their specs, that I can see.  Hmmmm....

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net