Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:11:53 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using CVSUP to update the Ports collection...

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 01:22:41AM +1100, jesse reynolds wrote:
> At 6:31 AM -0800 18/12/1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> >oy! if you want a copy of the cvs repo, then you want to set
> >'base=/home/ncvs' and use 'cvs -d /home/ncvs' as your cvs command.
>
> No, I don't want the whole thing, just the ports.
>
> >however it's much easier to just get a copy of the files you need,
> >add the line:
> >
> >*default tag=.
> >
> >and leave it at /usr to just get the most recent files.
>
> Okay, excellent. So, I should change my cvs-cvsupfile to read:
>
> *default release=cvs
> *default host=cvsup.au.freebsd.org
> *default base=/src/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default delete
> *default use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> *default tag=.
> ports-all
>

> does the 'tag=.' tell it to just update files that are already found locally?

Oops! hit send a bit too quickly last time. tag=. tells it to use the
most recent versions of each file, sort of equivalent to -CURRENT.

> Is it possible that running cvsup as I did without the tag=. could
> have stuffed up my ports collection?

Quite possibly. From section 18.3 of the handbook:

      "Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly.
      Some tags are valid only for certain collections of files. If
      you specify an incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete
      files which you probably do not want deleted. In particular, use
      only tag=. for the ports-* collections."

>  It's just that I tried 5 different programs and they all failed...
> here's the output of `cd /usr/ports/misc/less ; make install`...
>
> su-2.03# make install
> ===>  Patching for less-340
> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for less-340
> Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
> 1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to Makefile.in.rej
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> su-2.03# more ./work/less-340/Makefile.in.rej
> ***************
> *** 15,21 ****
>    LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@
>    O=o
>
> - LIBS = @LIBS@
>
>    prefix = @prefix@
>    exec_prefix = @exec_prefix@
> --- 15,21 ----
>    LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@
>    O=o
>
> + LIBS = -ltermcap
>
>    prefix = @prefix@
>    exec_prefix = @exec_prefix@
>

> Cheers
>
> Jesse
>

> --
>        Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au
>              Email: jesse (at) va.com.au        - http://virtual.artists

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too  ;"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller