Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:34:00 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <guy.helmer@gmail.com>
To:        Rafael Henrique Faria <rafaelhfaria@cenadigital.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP on vSwitch

On Oct 18, 2012, at 3:59 PM, Rafael Henrique Faria =
<rafaelhfaria@cenadigital.com.br> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to use CARP on two FreeBSD servers in a ESX =
environment. But
> it's not working.
>=20
> The problem is that every frame sent from CARP gets back to the same =
host.
> This is an old problem:
>=20
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg30562.html
>=20
> And already have a patch, but its 3 years old. And not yet commit-ed. =
There
> is any reason for this?
> I always used freebsd-update to keep the servers updated, and don't =
want to
> compile a kernel just to use the CARP.
>=20
> Someone have any suggestion or correction to this problem?
>=20
> Thanks in advance.

I have been using this ipfw rule pair to filter the CARP packets to work =
around this problem:

# Allow CARP advertisements out from me and in from anyone but me
${fwcmd} add allow carp from me to any out
${fwcmd} add deny carp from me to any in

Guy