Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:35:52 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mit@dreamlabs.com>, freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (2) about @XX.freebsd.org email account policies...???

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:28:36PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > > Free?  You mean charge for them?  ;)
> > >
> > > I'm in charge of nz.freebsd.org.  I never gave out addresses at first.  I
> > > was very leary of doing that.  Then I started to delegate the work.
> > > I gave ftp@ to the guy in charge of the ftp server.  But I never gave
> > > someone an email address unless they needed it to do their job.  e.g. I
> > > didn't give my mate Tom one just so he could be part of the domain.
> >
> > How do you define that somebody is doing a job worthy of getting an
> > @nz.freebsd.org email?
>
> Isn't my example of ftp@ sufficient?  I redirected ftp@ to joe@example.org
> because Joe was running ftp.nz.freebsd.org.  I never gave Joe a joe at
> nz.freebsd.org email address.

A number of people in the UK who are FreeBSD advocates have
uk.freebsd.org addresses, including me (joe@uk.FreeBSD.org ;).
I don't see anything wrong with this as long as they are not abused.

In addition we have a ukug.uk.freebsd.org domain that has a shell
account machine on it and various people have accounts there.  (ukug =
uk user group).

Joe
--
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert