Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:32:24 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>, Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, Juha.Nurmela@quicknet.inet.fi
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

Frode,

I'm just back from vacation with 1850 emails to
get through.
So some of the things I write may duplicate other replies.
Some may contradict slightly as I've written this before
reading all of the emails in my in-box.

/usr/local/share/tuner-freq-sets.rc should containing
Country, Channel Name (note this is ASCII and
not a number - see Australian issue to follow) and the base frequency.
[UK]               # Country name+format eg UK, USA Cable, USA Wireless
E37	12450      # channel 'name' to frequency mapping.
E38	12500      # these are just made up
E39	12550
E40	12600

Note, I know in the Austalia there are weird channels like C5
which comes between E5 and E6!!!
E1       100
E2       150
E3       200
E4       250
E5       300
C5       600
E6       900
E7       950

And then in /etc/tuner.rc
I would have
[Glasgow]    # Location name
UK           # Country name (from the /usr/local/share file)
BBC 1    E30  +0.001
BBC 2    E37  +0.500
CH 5     E38  0.0
MY VCR   E36  -0.333

*** Note the Fine Tuning offsets need to be stored too.

etc

This second file in /etc should be writable by FXTV
either directly or via the library.
This means that once I have tuned into BBC1, I can save it
along with any fine tuning.

This also means that the file should not be in /etc
but in the users home directory.

In FXTV, I should be able to
a) select the country
b) run through the list of channels, E35, E36, E37 etc
c) find a channel, fine tune it and save it,

Then, once the list of actual TV stations is built,
I can select BBC1, or CH 5 or whatever from my Stations list.

Interface to the driver.
I originally thought libtuner (or libtv) would talk directlyto the bt848
driver.
The TV or Radio application would then not need to worry about the tuner
ioctls.

But on second thoughts, perhaps libtuner should just be a
channel->frequency
mapping, returning an actual frequency as a uint_64.
Then the application (xmradio/fxtv) calls the bt848 driver.
Otherwise, libtuner needs to open the bt848 driver too, and issue ioctls
and
that just makes it even more complciated.

It cannot hide any OS specific details unless it handles opening the
bt848
device, selecting the audio /mute/mono/stereo/fm sources, volumes and
balances
and lanuage selection on TV programs with multiple audio channels
(done by the MSP34xx chips).
I was really just thinking about getting the Frequency mappings out of
the bt848 driver.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.