Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:32:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, lite2@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Delayed write patch

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Charles Henrich wrote:

> > Thanks for the patch.  It improves performance for my SGI from ~720k/sec
> > to ~870k/sec.  I modified the patch (and the nfs_dwrite patch) slightly
> > and added comments to try to explain what is happening.  Could you check
> > the comments to make sure they agree with your understanding of the
> > problem and I will commit this patch to current probably tomorrow.
>
> A few more observations.
>
> I did more performance tests with the v2 UDP, as per usual all were not good.
> I did notice that the system was being locked out during the tests, but not
> solid, I.e. after a few seconds my other transactions (to different NFS hosts)
> would make it out and back.
>
> I then switched the TCP v3, this didnt help at first?  After about the third
> test everything starting running extremely well, however I do not believe the
> results.  After completing my tests I attempted to unmount the sun, no such
> luck "device busy".  It took a reboot (which reported "Unabl to unmount") to
> clear that up.
>
> Next test, after the clean boot.  CP the netscape binary to the partition, that
> worked fine.  However, when I then did an rm on the netscape binary, my system
> locked up dead solid.
>
> I think im going to back out those patches :)

Could you back out all the patches except the one to nfs_socket.c to
nfs_rcvlock and its caller and the nfs_bio one to use a sysctl variable
vfs.nfs.dwrite to decided whether to use delayed writes.  In particular,
could you back out the NFSv3 fixes which I sent for nfs_vnops.c.

Could you run your tests again on V2 and V3 with vfs.nfs.dwrite=0 and
vfs.nfs.dwrite=1.  If we get some positive results that way, we can add
back the v3 fixes a piece at a time to see what is broken.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761