Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:01:51 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-BETA5 and Ultra 1 !?

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:55:56AM +0200, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

> Hi Marius,
>
> Thank you for your tip. It works now!
> Booting a new loader with "make LOADER_GZIP_SUPPORT=no" solved the
> problem. I can definitely boot from the onboard SCSI disc.
>
> What we need to make this work also with installation ISO?

There's no simple way to modifiy an existing install ISO so it
will boot on an U1 and install a loader that is able to boot
from a disk attached to the on-board controller. It's proably
easier to build a custom install ISO with gzipfs disabled or
a patch with a proper workaround in the first place.
If you meant what it would take to get either of it into
the 6.0-R ISOs it's most likely too late; I don't think that
changes allowing U1 (which are not yet properly supported
anyway due to lack of drivers for the on-board NIC and CG6
cards) to boot would be accepted this late in the release
cycle.

> At the time when the "Fast Data Access MMU Miss" error occured I have made
> a ctrace and a ftrace. If this can be useful to somebody I can post the
> output.

Like I wrote the problem is understood, I just need time to sit
down and think of an acceptable workaround for that firmware
limitation and implement it. Thanks anyway.

Marius

--
This mail was scanned by AntiVir Milter.
This product is licensed for non-commercial use.