Date:      Fri, 26 May 95 13:26:03 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au, hasty@netcom.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, pss@fore.com, announce@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org, rv@fore.com
Subject:   Re: Drivers for FORE systems cards under FreeBSD

> > Much as I hate generalisations .. I would warn that ATM and IP apparently do
> > not mix well in cases where good interactive response is critical, at least
> > in my limited experience. I get better response over my own overworked 14k4
> > modem connection to the net than over a (university based) 2 megabit ATM
> > link.
>
> This is not a general problem with ATM, and I tend to say that it's
> because there are other users on the 2Mb ATM than you.
>
> It's certainly not an argument against ATM...

Poul's right.  It's an argument against bandwidth overcommit.

Which is an argument against non-virtual circuit transports for virtual
circuit traffic.

THAT's the argument against ATM.

On the other hand, ATM and Frame Relay source quench doesn't really
work well with TCP/IP, since TCP/IP doesn't recognize it as a valid
congestion control mechanism.  Arguably, the problem is in TCP/IP.

Except it came first.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---