Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:12:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
Cc:        "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: copying a directory and sub directories

Regarding rsync, which in some tests I've run copying old hardware's OS
and files to a new replacement works very well, I have a question.

If I need to copy entire directories of users --their home directories and
contents, how do I copy them?

for example:

bash2.0.3> rsync -uavv eris.njit.edu:/usr/online /usr/online

will attempt to copy in verbose archive mode, updated files from the
remote machine to the local machine (the /usr/online directory in total)

but, as I can't ssh as root, (I am the machines admin), the user files in
the directory (and the directory, itself) are owned by their respective
users and my non-root account doesn't have permissions to copy.

Have I missed something in rsync, or do I need to edit ssh (rsync's
default transport) to allow root logins?  I'm not exactly thrilled by the
prospect of allowing root ssh access, but I'll reconfigure ssh if I have
to.

Thanks,

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT