Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        dhawk@netcom.com (David H)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [1] How to Use DES? [2] Max. Num. of Users?

> [question 1 - how to find/install/use DES?]
> OK, a followup question from yesterdays about converting the Linux
> file. Everyone agreed I should use DES. How do I do that? I
> looked through the FAQ and the files in /usr/share and grep'ed
> for DES and found a mention of scrdist or the secure package,
> but they don't appear to be on my CD-ROM (the 2.0.5 from WC).
> I ftp'd into Neosoft and looked through ports and distributions
> but all I found (after up and down and around) was a file called
> des.aa so hopefully I'm making progress, no?

The secure stuff isn't on the CD-ROM because it's illegal for WC to
'export' it outside the US.

The des.aa file is what you need.  It's a lot easier for you to install
it when you first set up your system, or before any passwords are set.
The DES encrypted password text isn't compatible with the default MD5
stuff.

You _can_ install it after the fact, however.  Here's how I do it.

* Back up your system.
* Shutdown to single user.
* Remove the symbolic links /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2.0 and /usr/lib/libcrypt.a
* cd /
* tar xfvzp des.aa
* Recreate your password file using DES encrypted text.

Your old passwords WILL NOT WORK with DES installed.  You can use the
encrypted text passwords from any OS that uses DES encryption.

> [question 2 - how many max. users?]
> I even generated a new kernel, but it wasn't an option in there
> either, as far as I could tell. But I did notice it wouldn't let
> me set users greater than 64 -- is that the most I can have logged
> in at once? We currently have 20 or so logged in at once and we're
> not even open for business yet.

No, the MAXUSERS parameter only changes the maximum number of processes.
If you want to change the number of simultaneous logins, look for
'pseudo-device pty XX' in your kernel config and the MAKEDEV the new
pty's.