Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:17:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

>  Uh, I believe that he said that the onboard audio _could_not_ be disabled.
>
>  While I've never run into such a setup, I'm willing to believe that a
>  "bottom feeder" MB manufacturer would leave out control of on-board
>  devices, leaving you with only PnPray to enable/disable it.

HP sells a Pentium computer that does not have jumpers or a BIOS option to
disable the onboard Crystal soundcard. The machine was here so quickly
that I did not see the manufacturer of the motherboard. According to
the owner, he could not get the OSS driver to work with the card.

People that buy these crap machines cannot afford to lose a IRQ. They
already max-ed out the IRQs because of IDE drive, APATI drive, PS/2
mouse and (usually internal) modem.

--mark.