Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:43:58 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        francisco@federation.addy.com
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help me reply to Infoworld correspondent: what is diff between BSDI and FreeBSD?

> In this week's Infoworld there is a review on Red Hat Linux. I wrote
> to the author (Eric Hammond) telling him about FreeBSD. He mentioned
> He recently did a review in which he included BSDI and also said
> there is another review in which BSDI will be included.
>
> I am familiar with FreeBSD Vs Linux discussions (and even a bit about
> Open BSD, Net BSD), but never really have seen much about BSDI.
>
> One of the things he wrote was:
> "I'm assuming that Internet Server is the commercial version of
> FreeBSD.
> Correct me if I'm wrong."
> By internet Server he is referring to BSDI.
>
> How different are these products (BSDI and FreeBSD)?

In many regards, enormously.

> I can prepare some little promo to send to him telling him about
> FreeBSD, but I want to answer his comment about BSDI vs FreeBSD.

FreeBSD and BSD/OS share common ancestry, however their development
diverged several years ago.  BSD/OS is a commercial product developed
by BSDi, while FreeBSD is a free-software product developed by the
FreeBSD Project Inc.

At this point in time, it is not correct to associate BSD/OS and
FreeBSD other than with reference to their history.  FreeBSD continues
the BSD tradition of public development, with substantial involvement
from all segments of the userbase, whilst BSD/OS is developed only by
BSDi.

BSD/OS serves primarily as a profit vehicle for BSDi.  In contrast,
FreeBSD is developed by volunteers and organisations which see it as a
viable platform for their products and applications.  This communal
development tends to lead to a more user-driven product.

FreeBSD is the platform of choice for many high-performance and
mission-critical applications.  (eg. Yahoo, Oracle NC server, etc.  See
commercial gallery for more examples)  The open development model makes
knowledgable developers directly available to users, drastically
reducing turnaround time for queries and fixes.  Public availability of
full source makes integrated development simpler and more
cost-effective.  Generous source licensing and usage terms make FreeBSD
an excellent starting point for embedded systems development as well.

... blah ...

mike