Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 16:12:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        greg@deathstar.med.miami.edu (ToxicWaste)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: need help setting up backup schedule...

> 	What I would like to know is how to use the configuration
> file (amanda.conf) to employ the backup schedule that I want.
> Basically, I want a full backup done every week with incremental
> backups on every day in between.

 Um... I have a question.. why? Amanda was designed to perform incrimental
 as well as full backups of all filesystems in a set over a period. Why
 force it to use an un-efficent backup method as daily incrimentals and
 weekend fulls? I have over 100 Gigs of filesystems across 80+ systems that
 are backed up completely over a two week period in three runs nightly. That
 means that at some time in the two weeks, a full backup is done and
 progressive incrimentals are done the rest of the time for all partitons
 in my disklist.

 This is somthing you might consider as an alternative to the aformentioned
 method. However I can point you in the right direction if this is the way
 you wish to use amanda.

> 	I have looked at the explanation of the params in the
> man page for amanda but am not sure how to use them to acheive
> what i am aiming for.  My guess is that some combination of dumpcycle
> and tapecycle will do this but, instead of playing around with them
> until i get it right, i was hoping that someone could point me in
> the right direction.

 sort of. the best way is to have two seperate runs that go off, but
 first a more detailed explanation.

 here is a more detailed explanation of the parameters that most people
 have problems with:

 	For those running amanda 2.1 or less

  mincyle
    This is the total number of days in your backup cycle. So if you wish
    to have your partitions recieve a full backup within a one week period
    and you do not run on the weekends, this number would be 5.

  maxcycle
    This is the total number of days plus the slide factor if amanda cannot
    fit in that disk for whatever reason ( bad tape, machine down, etc... ).
    So again in our model, if you are using 5 days as your cycle, this
    number could be 6 or greater.. although 7 would be suitable.

    	For those running 2.2 or greater

  dumpcycle
    This is the total number of days in the cycle.  If you wish your partitions
    to recieve a fill backup in a week then it will be one week.

  tapecycle
    This is the number of tapes in your active tape library. So you are
    backing 5 days of every week... and you want to keep 3 months of archives
    that would be 60 tapes. ( we have found that 6 months is a good number
    for the guy who "thought rm -rf *.o and typed rm -rf * .o" and hadn't
    touched a file in a couple of months.) Plus it is also a good idea to
    archive a full mincycle's worth of tapes every tapecycle and replace
    those tapes. this means that every 3 months and a week, take out those
    5 tapes and put in 5 fresh ( and labeled ) ones. this way you change your
    tapes out and keep a lid on tape degradation and you have a working
    archive.

OK ... hopefully this makes things a bit more apparent. Now onward ...

 To have it do daily incrimentals and fulls on the weekends you need
 two backup sets.

 First make one with all the partitions as is described and make your
 amanda.conf so that:

  - dumpcycle 1 week

  - tapecycle 60 tapes ( this is three months )
	or however many you want.

  - org "FOO-Inc"	( This means that this is the incrimental dump )

  define a few dumptypes with skip-full as a parameter:

  - define dumptype comp-medium-inc {
  	comment " Compress medium priority incrementals"
	options compress, skip-full
	priority medium
   }

  - and make all your partitons listed in your diskfile with those
  	dumptype

  dvals1	/scratch	comp-medium-inc

ok... that will take care of incrimentals

for fulls:

   - dumpcycle 12 days	( This is the number of Saturdays that are in your 		incrimental tape cycle )

   - tapecycle 12	( This is the number dumps in the incrimental cycle)

   define a few more dumptypes with skip-incr as a parameter:

   - define dumptype comp-medium-full {
        comment " Compress medium priority full-dumps"
        options compress, skip-incr
        priority medium
     }

 - and make all your partitons listed in your diskfile with those
  	dumptype

   dvals1	/home		comp-high-full

 That should do it. set a cron tab entry to use the incrimentals every
  weekday and one to run the fulls on the weekends.

> 	At the very least, if someone could give me a more detailed
> explanation of how these params are used (the man page is pretty
> brief), it would be greatly appreciated.

 I hope that this helps.. Again i cannot stress how much easier it is to have
 one backup run that runs throughout the week and takes care of deciding when
 partitions need incrimentals or fulls. Plus it is a much more efficent use of
 tape.

 One thing to remember is that you are limited to the storage size of your
 device. I have found that out of 100 gigs, i actually backup about 60% of
 that and I use gzip compression... I never maxout the tape drive. I regularly
 put 8 gigs compressed on an 8500.

 - branson
--
MATHESON, E BRANSON                             E.B.MATHESON@LaRC.NASA.GOV
    Mail Stop 931                            COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION