Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:55:56 +1100
From:      Greg Ryan <greg@safetyweb.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tcpdump configuration

Hi All,

I'm trying to watch the traffic on our network to track down a problem, and
am having trobule configuring tcpdump on either of our freebsd machines.

I get the error '/dev/bpf0: Device not configured'

The man pages say that root must have read access to the device but:

crw-------  1 root  wheel   23,   0 Oct 18 22:19 bpf0

Have also tried setting exec permission, but no effect. Is there something
i may have missed, or a flag somewhere that (dis)allows promiscuous mode?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

--
SafetyWeb Internet Solutions Pty Ltd