Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:32:55 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HDD led stops working after FreeBSD...?

Mark Ovens writes:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 1999 at 10:13:25PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> > hello,
> > I have installed freebsd on a pII-350 which is on intel
> > T440BX board the board has on board ultra wide scsi adapter
> > 53c875 on itself
> > after freebsd detects it, the hard drive led stops working
> > even if I write and read from the disk, it does not blink
> > what can the problem may be?
>
> I have a Diamond Fireport 40 which also uses the 53c875 chipset
> and that has the same problem. IIRC it is a known problem/limitation
> with the ncr0 driver. My HD, IBM UltraStar has an LED connector so
> I use that.

As I comphrend the problem as dedcribed to me, the fear is that some use
the same I/O bits generically to control things such as FLASH memory,
while others use the same bit to flash (ugh!, an awful pun I didn't
notice at first) the LED. So FreeBSD takes the only available common
ground and does nothing.

You could add this line to your kernel config and probably get your
flashing LED back. Works for the Asus SC875. Have heard it makes a mess
of the FLASH or EEPROM on a Tekram.

options                SCSI_NCR_SYMBIOS_COMPAT

Having tried this on my machine, the LED flashed so fast and was on so
little that it wasn't any fun to watch. So I took the it out the next
time I built a kernel.