Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 20:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Eric Lakin <elakin@ricochet.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure Deletion

> >    It uses a combination of randomly-generated and pattern-specific
> > overwrites of a file (or group of files) in-place, in order to make
> > recovery extremely difficult--even with advanced equipment (like
> > echo-cancellation analysis systems). A standard file-deletion is issued
> > after its done mangling the file(s) in question. It works ok, I guess, as
> > betas go.
>
> This sounds similar to "rm -P" in a stock FreeBSD system (3.1, atleast)

   Similar, but certainly more sophisticated than the -P option for rm.
Still, my program is just a beta, and I'll admit that it certainly isn't
ready for any kind of real-world environment--yet.

   I'm going to add swap-space and free-space deletion options as soon as
I figure out a way to do those things gracefully. It should make for a
nice, relaxing programming project.

--R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site