Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:48:29 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 05:47:00PM +0200, Peter van Heusden woke me up to tell me:
> Having recently worked on a WWW oriented user interface for FreeBSD, and
> looked at some recent work on similar projects, I've been thinking about
> the problems of providing an alternative interface to configuring FreeBSD
> (alternative to vi, that is).
>
> Basically, the problem operates on 2 levels - the first, and easiest to
> solve, is automating the editing of various configuration files
> (/etc/rc.conf, /etc/crontab and others). The second problem is structuring
> changes to the configuration in a meaningful way - for instance, if a
> modem is connected to the computer on /dev/cuaa1, both PPP and UUCP will
> probably want to talk to /dev/cuaa1.

I've been looking at doing this sort of thing for a while.  I've been
planning on a 2-level system:
1) Shell script/perl script/C program/whatever to edit the config files
2) (not my forte) cutesy, perhaps graphical, front-end to the script

So, the first step is to write scripts/programs to create/edit the
various config files: pppconfig, maybe some nice wrappers around pw,
syslogconf, even a profileconf and cshconf, heck, let's complicate things
more and make a rc.confconf.  Just find every config file that people
will need to edit, and write a script/program to do the changes.  THEN
write a cutesy front-end to the script/program.  Perhaps not the absolute
most efficient way, but easy to design, easy to use, and easy to peel
away the layers you don't want/need.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |