Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:09:57 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: block icmp with ipfw

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 04:06:23PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:
>  > add 00602 allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 8 out
>  > add 00603 allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 0 in
>  > ...
>  > default deny
>
> You should really do it the other way around:  let all ICMP
> types through, _except_ for those that you don't want (i.e.
> ICMP ECHO).  You will probably want several things to work
> correctly which depend on ICMP, such as path MTU discovery
> (RFC1191), detection of unreachable destinations or networks,
> and similar things.  ICMP means internet control message
> protocol -- without it, several internet-related things just
> don't work.

Yes, I have separate rules for those.
I should probably have stated this.

> Personally, I wouldn't block ICMP at all, not even ICMP ECHO.
> FreeBSD's ICMP bandwidth limit handles the usual situations
> where you'd want to limit ICMP pretty well.

I'd agree with this in most situations.
The machine that those rules are from is unfortunately severly under-spec'd
and overworked though, and I have found this makes a positive difference.

Ceri

--
you can't see when light's so strong
you can't see when light is gone