Date:      Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:26:07 +0200
From:      Phil Schulz <ph.schulz@gmx.de>
To:        Phil Schulz <ph.schulz@gmx.de>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: power off issues (introduced btw 05/28/04 and 05/29/04)

Hi again!

  I tried to dig deeper and found out that the system started to behave
incorrectly after the default of acpi_disable_on_poweroff was changed
from 1 to 0 on 05/28/2004 at around 7:17 GMT. So I thought a solution
might be to change it back to 1 but it seems that not only the sysctl
but also the infrastructure behind it is gone in more recent versions of
-stable.

  It seems that the system does OK until the call to
AcpiEnterSleepState() in acpi_shutdown_final(), line 1611 of
sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c Rev. 1.186.2.12 and then goes crazy.

  Going further with the infamous add-a-lot-of-printfs method I traced
it until the call to AcpiHwRegisterWrite (ACPI_MTX_DO_NOT_LOCK,
     ACPI_REGISTER_PM1A_CONTROL, PM1AControl) in AcpiEnterSleepState(),
line 423 of sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hwsleep.c Rev. 70
  At that point, PM1AControl is 0x3c01

  I haven't bothered to look further since I don't really know what to
look for. Is there anybody out there who could give me a hint? Does it
even make sense to keep digging or is the hardware so horribly broken
that there is almost no chance to fix it?

  The whole debugging process is kind of painfull since the stupid
laptop does not have a serial port and the firewire device is already
shut off at that point of the shutdown procedure so I don't have any
debugger :-(

  Regards,

    Phil.