Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 1995 17:51:39 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        ctodish@levelone.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion? (slattach)

>        Does someone have a suggestion about modifing slattach.c so it
>releases the com port when carrier drops? Right now it won't let my dialer
>execute when carrier drops.

For which versions of FreeBSD and slattach?  In 1.1.5, slattach didn't
do enough to release the controlling terminal, so its own redial command
didn't work.  This is fixed in 2.0, but now slattach doesn't exit when
carrier drops even when it the redial feature is not used.  It does too
much in the SIGINT handler (even more than in 1.1.5) and the exit logic
is tangled up.  It should just set a flag in the SIGINT handler and
handle the signal after sigsuspend() returns.  This would make it easier
to untangle the exit logic.

Bruce