Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2016 13:03:54 +0000
From:      Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>
To:        Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT Reflection rules for FreeBSD PF

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com> wrote:

> El duderino,
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:30:59PM +0000, Big Lebowski wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to set up a 11.0-R PF based NAT for group of jails that needs
> > to be able to talk to services on other jails, just as if they'd be
> clients
> > from outside of the network. Apparently, this is called 'NAT reflection'
> > and I was able to find examples for OpenBSD PF here:
> > https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/rdr.html (bottom of the page).
> >
> > Obviously, their syntax doesn't work on FreeBSD PF, so how to achieve the
> > same thing? How to allow jails NAT'd on $ext_if (xn0) coming from
> > $jails_net (192.168.0.0/24 aliased on lo0) to talk to each other, via
> the
> > $ext_if external IP?
>
> We did something similar in a customer setup a while ago:
>
>         nat on $int_if from $jail_host to any -> $int_ip
>         rdr pass on $int_if proto { tcp, udp } from $jail_host to $ext_if
> port{ $service1, service2 } -> $int_lb
>
> Cheers

Thanks for your response Olivier! Would you mind elaborating on it a bit
more? I don't understand what you're trying to achieve here, since the NAT
doesn't happen on $int_if (lo0) but instead on $ext_if (xn0). The $int_if
only holds the jail's IP addresses from the $jail_net range. How does that
compare?

Regards, BL