Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:42:53 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kav@ihlpf.att.com (Kurt A Vangsness +1 708 713 1261)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, FreeBSD-questions@freefall.freebsd.org, mpf@marconi.att.com
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 2.1 CDROM

Kurt A Vangsness +1 708 713 1261 stands accused of saying:

> Michael,
> 	Thanks for the response. Yes, we had the CD in when we booted the
> system (the CD installation boots right off the CD from DOS). Also, we did
> the W command in the slice/partition editors and also tried waiting (as
> recommended by the install program) until later for the final "commit".
> I am suspicious that the problem may be related to the 2940 SCSI controller
> driver. I saw some posts on netnews regarding some buggy behavior in the
> driver. Have you heard anything about this?

Yeah, it can give you serious grief.  If at all possible, try installing
using another SCSI controller (if you have, say, a 1542 lying around).
Personally, I use the NCR-based controllers (there's an install going
next to me as I speak...), and these are great.

The 2940 problems are really patchy; I had a client with two machines sid
by side, one crapping out, one running perfectly, the only difference being
the disks (the stayer was a 9G seagate, the crasher was a 1G seagate...).

> 		Kurt Vangsness

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[