Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 02:03:16 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@apfel.de>, www@freebsd.org, jordan@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Select a server near you menu

> And, why not have a part of the page that tells you where you are?
> ("Welcome to the main FreeBSD Web server." or "Willkommen auf dem deutschen
> FreeBSD-Webserver.")

Hmmmm.  Well, if we were trying to do this the way a corporation would
do it, we'd have all pages standardize on a set of menus or a nice
looking imagemap of some sort (perhaps saying "Welcome" in 5 or 6
different languages, arrayed on points of a star) which allowed you
to change your location or language type at will.  You should also be able
to tell immediately that you're at "dem deutschen FreeBSD-Webserver"
by the fact that:

	a) All the text is probably in German.
	b) The imagemap/menu will be set to say "Deutsch/Germany" by
	   default.  If it's an imagemap, the german section of the
	   graphic might even be "lit" (I saw this recently on another
	   vendor's pages and it was a pretty slick effect).

> I think we should provide for localization in the build process whereever
> it makes sense.

Yep.  We need to localize both for the content and for the web server
(WWW stats, FTP download counts by region, etc).

[The FTP download stats on www.domain.freebsd.org are just a pipe-dream
 for now. :)]

					Jordan