Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:32:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcnfsd..

> I'd say yes to integrate this service, because it's a basic
> connectivity service. In this case a very small package, that
> doesn't cost many K's in the source tree.

Actually, I have a confession to make.  Ahem.  This is very difficult.
I have come to (ooph, ack) agree with Paul!  I think that the
${local_startup} trick has potential and it should be the package that
drops its startup glue there.  sysinstall should just do a pkg_add on
pcnfsd and expect the right side-effects to happen (likewise with
pkg_delete - you'd want to remove the initialization!).

Of course, version-smash will still be a constant headache to be lived
with, but I expect that the packagers will simply have to sort that
out for themselves as they go along.

I think the package specific junk should come out of sysconfig and the
other associated files in /etc.  The current approach is simply a bad
idea and I'm sorry that I ever defended it.  It's a great mechanism
for configuring the *base system* behavior, but no more than that.
The local config stuff is fat.

I'll go turn over the appropriate files in -current with a stick.

						Jordan