Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 23:25:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se
Subject:   iostat

Hi,

I have been trying to implement a new version of iostat for FreeBSD for
some time now and I think that it have become stable enough to let
some one else test it.
At the current stage it implements the -c -w options and the possibility
to specify the order of the disk that it should display.
It does not show any information about tty and cpu.
Some extra features that is implemented are the -x mode (extended
mode like Solaris), that give's information about service-time
activity jobs waiting.
The -l flag for "limit" is alos implemented and limits the number of
drives that should be shown.
I did also implement a -n flag that just give the old iostat information
expect msps that is exchanged for service-time as a proposal for a new
standard format for iostat.

The implementation consist of two parts one kernel part and one user
progra. The kernel part consist of a couple of functions that is called
from the device-driver and that way make the effort needed to support
more device-drivers low. Currently only the sd and fd drivers are
supported because that's the only ones that I could test.

Because of the need for better time percision the implementation
curently uses microtime to get the time, but this is'nt realy that
good, because it is possible for it to go backward! So if someone
think that this is something that could be usefull for FreeBSD I
would love to rewrite it for a simple clock that only should be
useful to get delta times from, but with high percisiton.

I have uploaded the sourcecode (files and diffs) as:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/incomoing/iostat.960221.tar.gz

But remember that this is the first release so it isn't a verry
well tested version.

/Mattias
 ---
or previous employers.