Date:      Tue, 29 Nov 2016 14:50:23 +0000
From:      Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sandisk CloudSpeed Gen. II Eco Channel SSD vs ZFS = we're in hell

On 29/11/2016 12:30, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 28.11.2016 23:07, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> Check your gstat with -dp so you also see deletes, it may be that your
>> drives have a very slow TRIM.
>>
> Indeed, I see a bunch of delete operations, and when TRIM disabled my
> engineers report that the performance is greatly increasing. Is this it ?

Yep sounds like the TRIM on the disk is particularly poor.

You can download, compile and run
http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/dropzone/freebsd/ioctl-delete.c

This will time and give you performance info with regards to delete
requests.

It uses raw BIO_DELETE commands to the device so eliminates filesystem
latency (don't run on a device that's in use).

You'll likely want to put some data on there though as often FW
eliminates the delete if it will have no effect e.g.
dd if=/dev/random of=<device> bs=1m count=20480

     Regards
     Steve