Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:33:25 -0400
From:      "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <pieckiel+freebsd-questions@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support in SMP platform

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:50:24PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> When a thread is made runnable the idle CPUs contest on sched_lock so much
> that invariable one CPU ends up timing out on sched_lock and panic'ing.  This
> will be fixed eventually but not in the near future.

Obviously, this isn't considered a show stopper bug by the developers, but it
does seem to be quite an egregious error IMO.  Afterall, multi-processor
systems seem to be getting more commonplace, and especially with HTT getting
its share of the market, I would think that in not too many years a system
showing eight or more processors--virtual or otherwise--would be not unheard
of.

Why is fixing this such a low priority?  Is it a complicated fix, or simply
a lack of hardware for testing?

NOTICE:  I'm not asking this to blame, hound, or point fingers!  I'm just
curious.  I'm not trying to be critical of anyone or the priorities set by
developers.  Please don't take this as an offensive comment.  It's purely
asked in the interest of curiosity.