Date:      Thu, 24 May 2012 19:53:40 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NV10 hdac issue

--wxwCHDD50Sxg6bJc

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 03:34:10AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
> On 05/23/12 22:37, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> >>I haven't seen alike reports neither for this controller, nor for this
> >>CODEC. I would try to experiment with:
> >>1) disabling MSI interrupts with hint.hdac.0.msi=3D0
> >>2) switching to polling mode without using any interrupts with
> >>dev.hdac.0.polling=3D1
> >>3) changing buffer size with hw.snd.latency
> >>4) changing playback format (or vchans format it it is used)
> >>5) setting sysctl hw.snd.verbose=3D2 and checking for application level
> >>underruns with `cat /dev/sndstat`.
> >
> >Thank you, setting hw.snd.latency to 10 fixed the issue. Still, I do not
> >understand why default settings for the driver are not enough for the
> >machine.
>=20
> latency=3D10 means buffering for about 0.3s, that is quite a lot. I've=20
> tested some systems with smallest possible buffer of just 0.6ms and they=
=20
> were working about fine even in that case.
The minimum value of hw.snd.latency where I do not hear the distortion
is 9.

>=20
> If it works for large buffer I would suppose that controller operates=20
> well, because using only two interrupts per period even single loss=20
> should be heard. Can't it be some insane SMI handler or something alike?=
=20
> Aren't there any other lags noticed?

I cannot say anything about SMI, but suppose that there is no other issues
on this box. There is no noticeable lag under any other activity, like
doing some maintanence work in shell, using the text editor (vi),
as well as ping response times are reasonable  and without much
deviations.

vmstat -i:
interrupt                          total       rate
irq4: uart0                         1111          0
irq19: uhci1                        5343          2
irq20: hpet0                      261172        108
irq23: ehci0 uhci0                  2430          1
irq256: ahci0                       1467          0
irq257: hdac0                       6444          2
irq258: em0:rx 0                    3133          1
irq259: em0:tx 0                     652          0
irq260: em0:link                       1          0
Total                             281753        117

--wxwCHDD50Sxg6bJc

--wxwCHDD50Sxg6bJc--