Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2020 22:28:38 +0100
From:      Miguel C <miguelmclara@gmail.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@sippysoft.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CTF: UEFI HTTP boot support

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 7:00 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> see

> (I
> web
> those
> > > using
> > >
> > > One problem you run into in attemtping this is even if you get an
> > > image downloaded and started that image is being provided by some
> > > memory device driver that emulates some type of iso device.
> > > FreeBSD does not have a driver for that device so once the kernel
> > > gets to the point of mounting its root file system it falls on
> > > its face with a mountroot failure.
> > >

> > I donno what you are talking about Rodney, frankly! You information might
> > be way outdated, like 15 years outdated. :) FreeBSD comes with very
> decent
> > compressed image support in MD(4)+geom_uzip, which could be just UFS
> > snapshot or something created with mkimg utility. That said image could
> be
> > then either loaded after the kernel or embedded into one. Using this
> > approach we deploy our systems here, both kernel and all root + python
> > interpreter + custom gui installer fit into 40mb ISO but apart from
> loader
> > bits it's just two files.
>
> Max,
>         Let me try explain what this user is actually experienceing,
> and that is taking a box stock linux distro, sticking it on a webserver
> and using PXE/HTTP booting to a running system.  FreeBSD can not
> achieve that today WITHOUT some additional work.  All that
> stuff like UFS snapshot, mkimg utlity, embeding the image is a ton
> of work compared to what others are doing.

Well actually I've been using opensbd to test not linux, I'm using
https://rpi4-uefi.dev/ (not the sotck firmware).

This firmware deos have UEFI HTTP support and as stated bellow UEFI 2.5
supports booting from just a iso or img file, ofc the OS needs to support
this too.

You can even point it to the internet FWIW but I was actually downloading
miniroot67.img  (openbsd installer) and serving it locally!

Creating a HTTP Boot entry manually in UEFI works perfect with this and I
can get to the shell, and even use it to install to a USB drive or sdcad.

> This person probably does not even have a running FreeBSD box to do
> any of your suggested solutions on.

No really I do have FreeBSD boxes, I just wanted to clarify that; I'm not
too familiar with the process of making system images but I can learn.

> So give me some credit, I have only been doing "diskless" since 1982,
> and actually do exactly what the OP is doing with Esxi, Ubuntu, Windows
> Installers, etc.  Just my choice of protocol at the PXE layer is NFS
> instead of HTTP, but my config files can do HTTP with 1 variable change
> and point a web server at the root of my boot images tree.

I even have a menu entry that sends me off to:
>         https://netboot.xyz/

Regards,