Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:11:23 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        davidg@Root.COM, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Cc:        archive@cps.cmich.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3940?

>Related, but not really:  pet peeve of the day: DK_NDRIVE is set to 8 in
>sys/dkstat.h.  This effectively limits the number of drives I can get
>statistics on - statistics that would tend to be more useful the more drives
>I have.  Is there any harm in increasing this?  My news box has a dozen
>disks.

I think you're supposed to increase it if you have a lot of disks.  Don't
forget to recompile all utilities that depend on it.

>(I also noticed: extern int dk_busy;    /* bit field of busy drives */
>which is sorta scary  :-)  wonder how many other places there are hidden
>limits built in?)

dk_busy is only supported by the wd driver.  I guess that's why the msps
field in systat only sort of works for wd drives.  DK_NDRIVE must be
less than the number of bits in an int for dk_busy to work right.  I
think most of the limits are explicit (like DK_NDRIVE).  Of course,
this is the wrong way to do things.

Bruce