Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 15:40:29 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backing up my CDs [was Re: My horror story]

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 03:13:37PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > For an extra hundred dollars, you can even get some external/USB
> > > 2.0/IEEE-1394 hard drives with decent capacities.
> >=20
> > under USB 2.0 that'd work, but you still have the problems of moving it
> > between machines and architectures, i think.
>=20
> It really, really sucks that FreeBSD doesn't have an architecturally
> (read "byte/word order") neutral local media FS that is not read-only,
> like NetBSD does.

phk has talked about creating a ufs2.5 driver which would be ufs2 + byte
order magic.  That would definatly be nice.  GEOM is also apparently
supposed to be able to handle disk labels and partition tables.

> > does FreeBSD already support USB 2.0?
>=20
> Dunno.  Probably -current does.

No, but that's a major goal of the current sync with NetBSD.  It's
currently a race between our new firewire comitter and Joe's USB work.
Fortunatly, many driver enclosures support both.

-- Brooks

--=20

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--