Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2016 13:10:25 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: best time to sync

Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> writes:

> For example, is a weekly build done on the ports tree starting at a
> particular day and time?  Daily?

The weekly builds are done from a snapshot, last I recall. With new
hardware for the build clusters, full package runs may well get done
more often than weekly these days.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to know the precise date when the build
run is based on. Unfortunately, I can't remember what that is. You could
update your ports tree to the same time, but that doesn't quite get what
you want, because that's not a guarantee that everything builds
(although once the official build is done, you'll know which things *it*
wasn't able to build). The advantage to this approach would mostly be
that you can use the official builds for anything where the default
options are okay, and know that the things you build yourself will be in
synch with them.

Your odds of hitting broken ports are probably lower when there have
been fewer ports commits than usual in the previous few hours, but only
slightly so.

The experts are bapt@ and bdrewery@.