Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:50:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Confused over new rc.* changes

On 29-Apr-97 at 16:27:43 Brian N. Handy wrote:
>So I got lucky and I'm updating a new machine with Jordan's rearranged
>rc.* changes.  I've got a question already...
>
>In /usr/src/etc there's now an etc.i386 directory which contains rc.i386.
>I've poked through the remaining rc files and I can't see where this gets
>called from.  Is this file supposed to live in /etc/ or /etc/etc.i386?  Is
>this documented anywhere?  So far all I can find is the stuff in the cvs
>tree related to Jordan's commits, and I'm not sure I understand the way
>things flow here yet.

I had this problem :-) Then, when I installed an other system from scratch, the
rc.i386 got put into /etc. It gets called from /etc/rc at the point where it
says
        arch=`uname -m`
        if [ -f /etc/rc.${arch} ]; then
                . /etc/rc.${arch}
        fi

c u Jo

>I like the new rc.conf setup, although it's not radically different from
>sysconfig it's a lot simpler to look through for stuff.  I'm just having a
>problem getting myself situated with the new system.
>
>Happy trails
>

>Brian

                       For a world of pedigree OSs
FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it            <http://www.freebsd.org>;