Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:59:20 -0500
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: seeding dev/random in 5.5

On Aug 8, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> (if doing this from an unattended bootup, expecting the 300 second
>> timeout, I find that sshd does not start!)
>
> I cannot imagine a scenario where a competent system administrator
> would do
> a clean install on a machine, reboot it, and then just walk away
> without
> first testing to see that all expected services (especially sshd) were
> working according to plan. If you can envision such a situation,
> please
> describe it in more detail.

This actually bit us too once. We were doing an unattended diskless
(PXE boot) install to 50 servers at a time. These systems were for
internal use only, we didn't care at all that the key generation for
sshd was done in any secure way, but it meant that we either had to
manually go through each server and kickstart the random number
generator so sshd would work or hack the rc scripts to do what we
really wanted.

We got the unattended install down to do exactly what we wanted, so
there was no need really to do anything locally on each server after
the install. Except this. :)

This came up a second time when we had a server on another continent
lose its boot drive and we needed some "remote hands" to reinstall
the OS for us. We shipped a replacement drive and an install CD
configured to do an unattended/automated install. The idea was to
give them a replacement hot-swap drive, and a bootable CD that did an
automated install. After it was done, all they had to do was remove
the CD and power cycle the server. (The people on the other end
weren't very technical, so we had to make this extremely easy.) They
followed the instructions, and from what we could tell by having them
read the text on the screen it looked like it worked. We could ping
the server, but not ssh,  even though we were certain we had enabled
sshd in the install.cfg file. We burned another copy of the CD image
and tried it on a system locally to troubleshoot. Except, that since
we were watching it, we didn't let the 300 second timeout happen
because we were impatient, so it worked for us. It was only after
many many hours of debugging that we realized that letting the
timeout happen was breaking sshd.

So, there are a few reasons for wanting to be able to do an install
that just works right off the bat after sysinstall that don't
conflict with good sysadmin practices.

Maybe sysinstall could be collecting entropy during the installation
and use that for an initial seed if the timeout happens? It wouldn't
be perfect, but it'd be better than killing ssh.