Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 07:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu (Annelise Anderson)
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

> > You _should_ learn at least one Unix from both of those categories, but do
> > one at a time.  Choose one to get reasonably good at, and don't move to
> > another until you can do basic emergency recovery (playing with disks and
> > mount tools and processes).  Porting software is one hell of a good way to
> > learn the programming differences, but probably not so good at teaching
> > sys admin-ship.
>
> So, FreeBSD is a good choice for the BSD4.4 type, a point I have sometimes
> made to computer science students.  But what's a good SVR4 choice--any
> free ones?  Any versions of Linux that qualify?
>
> 	Annelise

For educational personal use SCO Unixware comes about as close as possible.
The price is about $30 for the CDROM.

I picked up Sco OpenDesktop and Unixware licenses off the net (free)
and ordered both Roms from SCO.  I used to teach SVR3, SVR4 and BSD4.3
Sysadmin and developed a fairly strong liking for some of the Sys5 stuff
(and I'm working at implementing some as a FreeBSD package in my spare time
-- including the Sys5 init/startup and the Pyramid OS/x Conditional symbolic
links which lets the system look like System 5 or BSD based on user
configuration).  I'm even doing the Pyramid dual init tricks.

Unfortunately my motherboard blew out and my "development box" is now my
current production box.

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.