Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:16:31 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, phk@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.man.mk and catman

>I'm for the "compare entire file" method, with the twist that if you
>see the size change, you know they will be different.

I'd like `make fastinstall' to skip the install if the timestamp of the
source <= the timestamp of the target.  `make' might be able to handle
this directly.  One reason that installation is slow is that `make' has
to exec `install' for almost every file installed.  If execing `install'
is unavoidable, then it may as well check the file sizes too.  Something
also needs to check the owner/mode and the link count.  If the owner/mode
is unchanged and the link count is 1 (in addition to the target timestamp
being later and the size unchanged), then `install --fast' doesn't need
to do anythine (except for stripping...).  There need to be other flags
independent of the --fast flag to tell `install' to copy the source
timestamp or preserve the target timestamp when installing.  The target
timestamp should be preserved for headers if the file hasn't changed
but it's normally best to copy the source timestamp.

Bruce