Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:31:19 -0400
From:      Aaron <notjanedeere@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: regdomain.xml

>>> I vote for recreating it as a CSV file. Would then be easier to work with
>>> and easy to convert to other formats -- json/xml/...
>> Lol, if anything we'd likely use a format that we already use inside the
>> tree, so json or xml. I don't MIND xml, but I mind how it's laid out right
>> now . It makes extending things a pain in the rear.
> Don't overlook ucl here, which can even do fancy stuff like file
> inclusion (which may or may not do object merging, based on how your
> ucl files are written) and is now used in a couple places of the tree.
> You could perhaps section off /usr/share/regdomain and do all kinds of
> fun stuff that reduces the labor involved.v

UCL looks interesting, what level of adoption does it have?  If it's
common enough ...

A single CSV file would be a catastrophe, there are several different
sections to the regdomain.xml file, it would have to be several.  JSON
or XML work, but I certainly won't be editing them manually.  Likely all
programmatic through Python, perhaps later we write a shell script to
make future changes easier?

Agree the current format is poor, will propose changes once I've dug
further into how the file is being used and what it's failing to do
currently.  Still gathering information.