Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:32:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

> > I happen to agree with Ken here.
> >
> > When will devfs be standard so we can implement physical to logical
> > translation layers and make this whole problem go away?
>
> That's only one part of the story.  You still have to understand the
> difference between slices, partitions, filesystems, and mounting.

Not if you realize that there is no representational difference
between a DOS partition, an extended DOS partition, and a disklabel
(BSD or otherwise).

The same tool can handle them all, as long as the interface for
subdomain management is abstracted to be the same ioctl() to a physical
to logical translation layer for all types of devices.

Slices and partitions and extended partitions and CCD agregations and
plain raw disks are all the same types of objects.

Filesystems are relevent only in terms of "formatting" them.  All
"formatting" should work on all terminal devices originating in a
physical to logical device translation layer, so it's not necessary
for the tool to know about that (DOS has a seperate "fdisk" and
"format" and has withstood years of battering).

Mounting is an antiquated idea; it is relevent only because the
device format recognition is expected to be done by a human telling
the computer about a device it should already know about, either
on a command line, or in a file called /etc/fstab.  This is an
implementation detail (of a bad implementation, in this particular
case).

What *is* relevent is the concept of mapping a device resource into
a file system hierarchy.  This is, however, totally logically
independent of most of the process called "mounting", which should
instead be implemented on device arrival notification following a
successful attach.

A user should be able to mapp as device resource into an FS hierarchy
with no knowledge of the device apart from "it currently exists" and
"if it currently exists, I want it here".  This works for removable
media, such as CDROM's and floppies, as well as it does for PCMCIA
FlashRAM cards and disk drives, or more esoteric resources, such as
mapped network drives with a nomadic system (laptop) in docked and
undocked states.

A user does *not* (and *should not*) have to understand the
difference between slices, partitions, filesystems, and mounting.
It is an implementation error that the user currently has to care
about these things.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org