Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:53:38 -0500
From:      Peter <pmatulis@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, apatewna@yahoo.gr
Subject:   Re: toggle between english and french (how?)

Le Vendredi 9 F=E9vrier 2007 16:15, Giorgos Keramidas a =E9crit=A0:
> On 2007-02-09 11:42, Peter <pmatulis@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >Le Vendredi 9 F??vrier 2007 10:26, Giorgos Keramidas a ??crit=A0:
> >> Not really.  I'm just trying to understand why you have to change
> >> the *remote* keyboard map.  The local keyboard map is what really
> >> matters, and this should work fine with the remote shell
> >> enrivonment for any locale/language.
> >
> > Ok.  What I want to be able to do is *occasionally* edit files in
> > French *remotely*.  That's all.
>
> Then you don't have to change the 'remote' keymap.  Especially not
> the remote *console* keymap.

I was always able to emit French characters locally while in X.

Remotely my shell is bash.  I put:

~/.profile

# Locale setup.
export LANG=3D"C"
export LC_CTYPE=3D"fr_CA.ISO8859-1"
export LC_COLLATE=3D"fr_CA.ISO8859-1"

~/.inputrc

# Locale setup.
set convert-meta Off
set editing-mode emacs
set input-meta On
set output-meta On

I noticed that a test of creating a directory containing a French=20
character failed (it showed a question mark where the character lay)=20
until I set up .inputrc.

So everything seems to work now although I haven't tried the console=20
method yet.

Thanks a lot for your help.

PM