Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:17:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSDBOOT.EXE, Vi and DosCMD.

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Gustavo Pamplona wrote:

> Hi, BSDusers.
>
> I know I ought to post these 2 questions to questions mailing list.

  Yes, you ought to have.

> How can I use FBSDBOOT.EXE? When I try to use it, it give me a error of
> "Invalid Format!", I think is the kernel was compiled for Elf format, so,
> is there a way to compile the kernel in the Static Format, Stripped or not
> Stripped.

  FBSDBOOT.EXE is defunct. It only worked with a.out kernels which have long
since gone by the wayside.

> Vi, the editor, one dumb question, is there a way to select more text than
> one line? The command 'yy' only select one line. Well, when I use, for
> example, the Vi of my Linux Slackware, I can press 'v' at my keyboard, and
> I can use both arrow keys or 'h,j,k,l' to select the text, been after I
> press 'y' to select 'yank the lines'
>
> I know the version of Vi of Slackware is different from my Vi of FreeBSD.
> Do I need to install another version? Or, what is the correct key?

  I'm not familiar with Slackware, but I would bet they replaced vi with vim
as is all the rage these days. Try installing the editors/vim port.

> DosCMD - Again, I know I ought to post this to emulation mailing list.

  Try a search in the
archives: http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html#mailinglists

> How can I use it? I saw is necessary to put some lines at the Kernel
> Configuration File, or in other words, is necessary to add more options to
> the Kernel. How can I would use a MS-DOS executable over/under * FreeBSD.

  3.x kernels required you to explicitly compile VM86 support into the
kernel. 4.x and higher kernels always have it.

--
Kelly Yancey  -  kbyanc@posi.net  -  Belmont, CA
System Administrator, eGroups.com                  http://www.egroups.com/