Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, FreeBSD Stable <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Tom wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Vincent Poy wrote:
>
> (redirected to freebsd-questions again)
>
> > > 	I think everyrhing you need is typing 'man 4 de' and choosing the
> > > 	correct value for ifconfig's `media' parameter. If your switch
> > > 	operates using full duplex then corresonding value for `mediaopt'
> > > 	must be set.
> >
> > 	Thanks to you and everyone for their help.  All I needed to do was
> > ifconfig de0 media 100BaseTX for the switch.  The funny thing I can't
> > figure out is that our 100BaseT hub when the de0 card is plugged into it,
> > the de0 will detect as 10Bt and it won't communicate until I manually do
> > the media setting.  Is there a reason, it won't negotiate with the 100BT
> > hub?
>
>   Auto-negotiation is problematic, especially on the DEC based cards.
>
>   It doesn't help when the etherswitch is doing auto-negotation too.  Our
> Cabletron smart-switch-router always negotiates a half-duplex setting
> regardless of what duplex setting the card is doing.

	Interesting...  All this time, I thought I had a case of bad luck
with cards or something.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]