Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:02:34 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is 4.6.1-RC2 affected by the FFS arbitary blocks problem ?

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i am looking at this securityy advisory from Freebsd.org:
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-02:35.ffs.asc
>
> about local users may read and write arbitrary blocks on
>                 an FFS filesystem
>

> I'm sorry I am having trouble decoding the affected systems portion,
> but is 4.6.1-RC2 affected by this, or was it fixed by then ?

One quick way to figure out whether your systems is affected is to run
the command `uname -a` on your machine.  The output should tell you
which branch you are following as well as the date that it was built.
You should make sure that you have both CVSup'd your sources AND rebuilt
the system since the correction date stated for you branch.  Compare the
date/branch from your machine to those from the advisory.  For example,
my `uname -a` output is something like:

FreeBSD [removed] 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #0:
Tue Jul 30 18:31:32 PDT 2002
[removed]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386

I am running 4.6-STABLE, which means that I am following the RELENG_4
branch.  I can also see that I rebuilt my system at 18:31:32 on July
30th of this year.  Because my time is kept as Pacific Daylight
Time(PDT), I have to correct to Universal Coordinated Time(UTC).  So, my
system looks like this relative to the correction date:
My system: 2002-07-30 11:31:32 UTC  (RELENG_4)
Fix date:  2002-06-23 22:34:52 UTC (RELENG_4)

I'm safe on this particular problem, as it was fixed on June 23, but I
CVSup my sources every week and I rebuilt my system on July 30th.

Nathan