Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2021 19:18:56 -1000
From:      "parv/freebsd" <parv.0zero9+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS (in virtual machine): $HOME being a dataset causes xauth to timeout- access delays?

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 3:38 PM parv/freebsd wrote:

I am wondering if $SRC_BASE, $MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX, & $WRKDIRPREFIX being
ZFS datasets now would increase compile time. I will found that out in
few weeks (in case of buildworld & kernel) as earlier I had both $SRC_BASE &
$MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX as plain directories & took ~5--6 hours.

I have FreeBSD 12-STABLE in VirtualBox 5.2.44 on Windows 10. All the "disks"
> are file-backed virtual disks.
>
> I noticed that after making $HOME a ZFS dataset, there were delays ...
> - generally in start of Xorg;
> - exhibited by xauth (after using "startx") error messages about timeout
>   with authority files.
>
> After reverting back $HOME not being a dataset on its own as before, there
> are
> no delays in start of Xorg; nor are any timeout message from xauth as
> before.
>
> Has anybody else noticed that?

  - parv