Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:10:42 -0400
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why does fsck try to fsck a CDROM?

* Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org> [010607 18:02] wrote:
> If I boot from a CDROM (of my own creation admittedly), fsck -p
> wants to fsck the CD partition, /dev/ad0c. It is mounted as root.

from fstab(5):

     The sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine
     the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root
     filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesys-
     tems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be
     checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will be checked
     at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If
     the sixth field is not present or is zero, a value of zero is returned
     and fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"