Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:58:45 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Barry Boes <bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC 9332

On Nov 13,  1:21am, Barry Boes wrote:
} Subject: SMC 9332
}
} Hello,
}   I'm trying to get a bunch of SMC 9332 cards to work in 10Mb
} mode.  I'm having <0 luck.  Here are all the dead-ends I've
} gone down.
}   I started with a 2.1.5 kernel, which found the card but treated it
} as the experimental 21140.  The card turned on at 10Mb but during the
} device probe switched to 100Mb.

Been there, done that.  I had a lot better luck though.  It worked
most of the time, but about one in 20 reboots it would say that it
was switching to 100Mb mode and it would do really bad things on
our network, like cause all our HP-UX boxes on the same hub to disable
their network interfaces.

} Switching link2 made the kernel say
} it was switching rates, but to no effect.

I didn't try that, since these failures weren't making me popular around
here.

}   So I installed a -stable kernel.  Same gig.
}
}   Then I pulled the -current if_de.c and dc21040.h.  I
} compiled them into the -stable kernel by changing a few
} things like ether_ioctl to work the old way.  Still no
} change.  Card goes into 100Mb mode and won't come out.

I grabbed the stuff from -current a couple weeks ago and made similar
mods.  I haven't had a bit of trouble since.  That version of the
driver was pulled into current a few days ago, over the weekend
I believe.  It shows signs of working, but I don't yet have anything
currently running that version of -stable.

}   So then I tried disabling the code in 9332_media_select
} and probe so that the interface rate would never get changed.
} That makes the card stay in 10Mb mode (my hub understands that
} it's there).  But, I can't see any packets going out the interface
} or coming into the interface.

Hmn, sounds like the card doen't think it's got a good connection.
Is the cabling all up to snuff?  Does the card show good link status
(is the link light on)?

			---  Truck