Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:33:13 +1300
From:      Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minipcie wifi card

Hi Adrian,

>> The docs say Atheros AR9285(MAC/Baseband/RF) with AR3011 -- I tend to think
>> the AR3011 is an error in their docs as the card is not advertised as
>> supporting bluetooth, and because an AR9285 is apparently exposed over PCIe,
>> I tend to think the card will work fine as an hostap, but just want to
>> double check.
>>
>> Anyone have any insight?
>
> Yes, it's actually a dual Bluetooth + AR9285 NIC. I forget the card
> identifier. But it's a perfectly fine AR9285 and it'll also
> (hopefully) work with bluetooth.
>
> The AR9285 is Mini-PCIe. The USB is just for the bluetooth IC. They're
> joined together for doing bluetooth coexistence.
>
> Awesome, if you're interested, I can start pushing out bluetooth
> coexistence patches for you to test. Are you able to run -HEAD?

Habey have two atheros Mini-PCIe cards:

http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=361 -- HB-NB037H
http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=353 -- HB-NE785H

The NB037 model is advertised as supporting bluetooth, and the NE785
model (which I asked about, and I believe to have incorrect docs) is
not.  To me it appears that they have copy/pasted the page for the
bluetooth supporting model to the non-bluetooth supporting model.

I was tempted to get the NB037 model anyway but the docs suggest that
Antenna 2 is required for bluetooth -- I only have one antenna mounting
position in my ITX case.  I am happy to get this card and test for you
if you think I'll actually be able to test bluetooth -- that only
Antenna 1 is required for both wifi and bluetooth.  If possible I'd
prefer patches against 9.0R as the machine its going into is fairly
important.

Matthew