Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 20:55:43 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl interface

> Hi,
>  I now have installed 2.2-current as of 22-december and I found out
> that kern_sysctl.c have gone thew a lot of changes, and that have
> given me a question:
>
> There's some new interfaces in the sysctl MIB that's not
> documented but there is a comment that says:
> /*
>  * "Staff-functions"
>  *
>  * These functions implement a presently undocumented interface
>  * used by the sysctl program to walk the tree, and get the type
>  * so it can print the value.
>  * This interface is under work and consideration, and should probably
>  * be killed with a big axe by the first person who can find the time.
>  * (be aware though, that the proper interface isn't as obvious as it
>  * may seem, there are various conflicting requirements.
>  *
>  * {0,0}	printf the entire MIB-tree.
>  * {0,1,...}	return the name of the "..." OID.
>  * {0,2,...}	return the next OID.
>  * {0,3}	return the OID of the name in "new"
>  * {0,4,...}	return the kind & format info for the "..." OID.
>  */
>  I guess there is some essential things that isn't working
> (0.4.hw.devconf.x for example), is there any ongoing work or any
> forum where this is discussed?

Well, essential or not, we can argue about.  hw.devconf is what I
consider "closed territory" and therefore these functions shouldn't
try to mess with it.  There exists special programs which are good
at handling that area.  These functions really of any value only for
the variables that sysctl(8) handles.

The entire sysctl area is still being reconsidered and rearchitected
quite a bit, and this particular interface should >>>NOT<<< be relied
on for the future.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.